Today someone sent out one of those “getting to know you” type quizzes. I love them; especially on a slow working Friday. Anyway, Shelby and I discovered that we both love Great Danes (it wasn’t my answer, but I do love them). Therefore, we collaborated on our own version. I’m posting the questions and answers for myself. Email or post you own answers.
3 books you recommend (impossibly narrow)
- Nicole Krauss’s The History of Love
- Melville’s Moby-Dick
- Margaret Atwood’s The Blind Assassin
3 movies you recommend
- Lord of the Rings Trilogy (if for no other reason than the magical)
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
- Short Cuts or Magnolia (I love an ensemble cast)
3 songs that put you in exactly the right mood
- “Blue Moon” sung by Patsy Cline
- “Sunday Kinda Love” sung by Etta James
- “Tainted Love” by Soft Cell
3 places you want to visit
3 places you have been
3 people you miss the most
- My grandmother and great aunt. Two women I wish I’d gotten to know better before they were gone.
- Sandy Oates. One of mom’s friends from my childhood who was probably too dysfunctional for me to know as an adult.
- Currently Lexie and Frank. Two friends that seem very far away right now.
3 memorable events
- Garden parties at Shelby’s (too many great ones to single out)
- Night of the 10th Moon Costume parties at the Mentone Springs Hotel.
- January 24, 2004
3 famous people living or dead that you’d like to meet
- Barack Obama
- Jim Henson
- Emily Dickinson
3 nightmare situations
- Anything involving me climbing the Eiffel Tower or any high structure of stairs
- I had this dream once where a hair grew out of my pupil. I’m still not recovered.
- Not being able to get in touch with my family when I have one of my bad mojo vibes.
3 things you’d do on your day off just for fun
- Roll my boss’s house
- Have drinks with friends
- Enjoy a journey walk/drive/hike/trip
3 nicknames you have had
- J-bird (thanks Duncan)
- Jules, Junior, Spaz (again, thanks Duncan)
- Julayah (Either Lori or myself are to blame due to odd spell checking or bad typing. Can’t remember which.)
3 childhood pets
- Peter Muffin the king of Cameron Street. Dogs still fear his catness.
- Snowball and Blondie (2 white cats that lost their sanity when we moved to the hotel).
- Plato and Christie (literally became attached due to umm, puppy love)
3 things about your job you like
- Kooky faculty
3 things about your job you don’t like
- Dress code (can you believe I can’t wear jeans on Friday???)
3 dream careers
- (I know only 3, but it should be mentioned that I would never turn down the female lead role opposite Matt Damon, Johnny Depp or Jon Stewart.)
- Not traveling more while living in Europe.
- Not publishing anything.
- Not being honest in past relationships about who I am and what I want out of life.
3 cars: your first, your current and your dream car
- 1st = hand me down Nissan Maxima 1984 (maybe??). It talked to me randomly.
- Current = 1998 Lexus (another hand me down — the best hand me down ever).
- Dream = tie: 2000 Ford Thunderbird Convertible or a 1966-68 Ford Mustang Convertible.
3 random facts or oddities about yourself
- I have to keep my hair short or I’ll pick at imaginary split ends to the point of needing to be locked up.
- I become physically uncomfortable if more than 3 people are looking at me at once.
- I used to be incredibly paranoid about white vans. Let’s hope that has passed since I last lived here.
3 people that impacted your life
Other than the normal.
- David Bottoms because he encouraged me to write.
- Several guys that taught me not to trust.
- My brother for teaching me to read, and therefore, to escape.
3 of your worst qualities
- Not trusting
- Temper and bile
3 of your best qualities
- Compassion from empathy